Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: A pillars and C pillars

A pillars and C pillars 9 years 5 months ago #6222

• tunmore
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Iam liveing in sunny Scotland and have bought my self which i thought was a nice type 34 1965 model but iv just found out that all 4 roof pillars are rusted through at the bottom and the person before had just filled the pillars up with filler and painted over thanks. Does anyone out there no of anyone who might have some good repair pillars or no of any one who might fabricate them up for me.
i think the pillars are called A posts and C posts. Plus does anywon no where i can get the replacement aluminum strip for around the door and rear pop out as mine has been butcherd as well.
Thanks if you can help as i might need more help as i delve deaper in to this car.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: A pillars and C pillars 9 years 5 months ago #6224

• Mick
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 18
Hi Tunmore and welcome to The Registry. Hopefully you will find it a useful resource.

You are correct in thinking the areas are named the A and C pillars. Unfortunately these are a common rust spot on cars that reside in wet climates.

I would recommend trying to source some from a warmer climate, but it is worth considering that most cars are parted out as they are not financially viable for restoring, which usually means they are rusty and will probably suffer from a similar issue. That said, a majority of members are from the US and warmer latitudes so you could be lucky.

Why not place an advert in our classifieds section and see what happens. You could also try our mailing list as there are some members that prefer the list to communicate.

If you do not have any luck, any good metal finisher should be able to fabricate a repair. From memory the front A pillars are made from three pressings welded together. Somewhere on the site there are some photos of a cross section of this area, it may help you. I will see if I can dig it out.

HTH

Mick.

PS don't forget to post some pictures, and if you're feeling inspired you could also keep a blog of your progress ;)

Re: A pillars and C pillars 9 years 5 months ago #6225

• Mick
  • Administrator
Hmmnn, cannot seem to find the picture of the cross section.

Got feeling that it might be Larry Edson who posted it originally, maybe he will chime in here?

Re: A pillars and C pillars 9 years 5 months ago #6226

• tunmore
  • Fresh Boarder
thanks Mick for geting back so quick I no Scotland is wet and grey thats why I realy cant make in to a convertable would be nice but not sencible. I will put it on the clasifieds as well and I will post some pics in about a month when I am back home. you would not no if anyone ever has remanufactured the seal between the aly strip over the door not the one which goes in to the strip but the one under the strip to the roof as mine is long past its use by date and is well dead.

Re: A pillars and C pillars 9 years 5 months ago #6227

• Mick
  • Administrator
Yes these seals are available. I bought mine from karmannghia.de

Re: A pillars and C pillars 9 years 5 months ago #6228

• tunmore
  • Fresh Boarder
A thanks mick i will try them. iv now post on the classifieds and trying to create a blog never done that before so here goes.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds