Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Quarter window rubber

Re: Quarter window rubber 9 years 7 months ago #6146

• Kharon8
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
"this keeps the water from running thru the cut"

This pops an idea of using rubber glue to seal the cut. Is there some reason not to do that?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Quarter window rubber 9 years 7 months ago #6147

• Bobnotch
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 26
You could, but I just added a little bit of D-19 tape. I get it from my local camping supply, as a regular t-3 uses it along the rear mounting flange of the front fenders.

This is the seal we're talking about, right Mick?

And you need to trim the inside rubber off some, so it'll clear the lip for the 1/4 window seal.

But if you look at how the 2 ends meet in the corner, a little D-19 here will seal the ends.
Here's the front joint (note;my finger is pointing to the seal I got from Simon being a little short of the corner).
Same here at this spot. A little D-19 tape goes a long ways.

Also, I pulled these pics out of my Samba gallery (page 8 t-3 ghia section), as it was easier to find these. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mick

Re: Quarter window rubber 9 years 7 months ago #6148

• Bobnotch
  • Expert Boarder
I should add, that you have to watch how much you fill the corner (where the 2 ends meet), as the seal tucks into part of that gap. If you get it too thick, you'll play hell with getting the rubber seal to sit in there nice. That's why I just added a little, watched it get squeezed out some, and cleaned up the excess.

Re: Quarter window rubber 9 years 7 months ago #6149

• Mick
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 18
Great info there Bob thanks :)

This is the part I was having trouble figuring out (but for the rear quarter window). The one I have is much smaller in cross section. I'm just in the process of ordering the correct one from Simon. The seal that goes between the body and the aluminium trim I previously bought from Rudiger although it has come up a little short (about 15mm)

In this image, where the lower chrome trim sits on the top of the fender. When the quarter window seal is fitted, does it meet up to the 'door' capping?

I've fitted mine in place but once I fit the capping there is a gap left between the capping and where I imagine the quarter window seal sits and I cannot figure out what should be there (if anything).

It's been a few years since I've owned a complete Type 34 and I cannot for the life of me remember if there was an additional piece of trim or vinyl that should go there. It's not an area that I have ever had call to scrutinise.

There's nothing in the pile of parts that I have that seems likely to have come from there.

I will go check out your Samba gallery, I don't visit TheSamba as much as I used to, but I will make a special effort ;)

Re: Quarter window rubber 9 years 7 months ago #6150

• Mick
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 18
BTW - how do you get your glass so clean? :laugh: :laugh: :silly:

Re: Quarter window rubber 9 years 7 months ago #6151

• Bobnotch
  • Expert Boarder
Rather than notch the rubber for the post, I just left it in place, and located the post in place on top of the seal. It's only held in place by 2 screws, so it's not a big deal. Trimming the actual 1/4 window is the tuff part, as you really have to pay attention to where you want to cut. Also keep in mind that you've got a window to go in that same area, and it has a frame (on it's front edge), and a seal too. Careful trimming of the 1/4 window seal will keep the gap to a minimum though. I think that area alone was one of the toughest parts of doing the seals. I'm still not 100% happy with the fit of my right rear window, but it does work (opens and closes), and does seal.

As for getting the glass so clean, a tip from a glass shop buddy of mine, is to use hand cleaner with a little pumice in it, then windex and newspaper to finish the job (after cleaning up the hand cleaner). Works very good too. ;)
Glad to have you look thru my pics (on the Samba), there's a bunch there, and it shows the BS I went thru just trying to get my car back to road worthy status. It's not there yet, but it's getting closer. B)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds