Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: thinking of buying

thinking of buying 9 years 5 months ago #4362

• mack1210
  • Fresh Boarder
hey guys first post here. i recently fell in love with the t34 body style and while i have never owned a air cooled vehicle i have had many many vw's. can anyone tell me about these?

www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=926689

www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=875650

www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=872513

I live in MI, so it would be a bit of investment for me to travel to bring one of these back. would it be easier to have one shipped? thanks.
Andrew
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: thinking of buying 9 years 5 months ago #4365

• Lee Hedges
  • Gold Boarder
The T34 has really gained a huge following in the past 5 years or so. Prices have gone crazy, conditions have plummeted, and spare parts are now seriously depleted. I think if you were to ask anyone about their advice when buying a T34 you'd get mostly "wait before you buy one, learn as much as you can, save up enough money to buy the best-quality one you can find, tinker with it a bit to make improvements to seals & chrome & missing bits, but don't ever restore one". Even the hard-core T34 guys here will tell you that a T34 restoration is not for the inexperienced, unfunded, & unfocused. It hurts not to be able to find what you need, is frustrating to see crap being sold/bought at outrageous prices only to disappear onto "rat rod" T34s instead of high-quality restorations, and it takes a long time to get one done right that you will enjoy owning & driving.

The first T34 link is a wreck 1962 for $1500 that is about as low-quality as you can get. Do you want a lowered rat rod T34 or a nice original daily driver?
The second T34 link is a decent 1965 for $2500 that appears to be a decently original semi-complete restoration project. Lotta work needed though ...
The last T34 link is a 1965 for $2500 that looks like the body is in worse condition than the 2nd car.
If there were only 3 T34s in the world left to consider I'd choose the 2nd one.
If you had a bit more money (ie $5-6K) then I'd buy that 1964 Electric Sunroof in Colorado. Worth more when it's done, easier restoration, running & driving now.

Save your money, buy a T14 KG, learn what it needs & where to source parts, try restoring it, then in a year or two you'll be ready for a T34. :(

Re: thinking of buying 9 years 5 months ago #4366

• CarstenKlein
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
exactly agree with Lee !
i started with a type 14 ghia and it has been the right decision ...
still have two ... but also type 34 ....

good cars are rare finds today ... and : expensive !!!!
parts are a lot more rare finds, especially good condition parts ... also : expensive !

cars you mentioned ... i won`t buy one of these ...
Time to create page: 0.057 seconds