Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Please help my identify this type 34

Re: Please help my identify this type 34 11 years 1 month ago #3716

• Lee Hedges
  • Gold Boarder
T34 basics here ... something I overlooked.
There are five models of T34s: M343 (LHD Coupe), M344 (RHD Coupe), M345 (LHD Electric Sunroof), M346 (RHD Electric Sunroof), M341 (LHD Cabriolet).
Yours is probably a 1965 M343 (Left-hand-drive Coupe).
The cross-over T34 is one that shares parts with an earlier-later model year. It is still a 1965, just an early 1965.
And yes, the chassis # and VIN# (and body #) are all the same # in a T34 (unlike a Mercedes Benz 220Sb that has different numbers for each).

If you're serious about buying it, please share the pics you have so we can help you with identifying missing parts, options, colors, etc.
If you can't upload the pics, send them to me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and I'll upload them for you.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Please help my identify this type 34 11 years 1 month ago #3717

• Alykhan
  • Fresh Boarder
Mine is actually a RHD, so M344
based on this information what is the value of the car and how rare is it

also i am in kenya, how did a t34 get here?
i guessing its because of british colonialism
any more info?

will upload pics once i get to see the car again

Re: Please help my identify this type 34 11 years 1 month ago #3718

• Lee Hedges
  • Gold Boarder
No value can be assigned to a T34 without detailed photos & mechanical information.
T34s were exported to all countries around the world, and Kenya would have been no different. I'd expect it to belong to a well-to-do businessman or other type person that wanted the performance & style of the T34 combined with the reliability & durability of a Volkswagen.
Rarity: 1965 is the most common year (along with 1964) and the M344 was obviously produced about one-fourth as much as the M343 (for RHD markets).
Value is established based on: originality & low-mileage, completeness & condition, and previous rust/damage areas.

Re: Please help my identify this type 34 11 years 1 month ago #3719

• Lee Hedges
  • Gold Boarder
No value can be assigned to a T34 without detailed photos & mechanical information.
T34s were exported to all countries around the world, and Kenya would have been no different. I'd expect it to belong to a well-to-do businessman or other type person that wanted the performance & style of the T34 combined with the reliability & durability of a Volkswagen.
Rarity: 1965 is the most common year (along with 1964) and the M344 was obviously produced about one-fifth as much as the M343 (for RHD markets).
Value is established based on: originality & low-mileage, completeness & condition, and previous rust/damage areas.

Re: Please help my identify this type 34 11 years 1 month ago #3720

• Alykhan
  • Fresh Boarder
il try and get pics
would you reccomend the type 34 as a beginers restoration project?
what is the restoration difficulty, say compared to a beetle?

Re: Please help my identify this type 34 11 years 1 month ago #3721

• Lee Hedges
  • Gold Boarder
I would NEVER recommend a T34 restoration to a first-time owner.
T34s are far too complicated to restore, far too difficult to find parts for, and far too expensive for the parts you'll need.
Beetles, T14 Karmann Ghias, Notchbacks, and even Transporters are far easier & less expensive.
There are many many unfinished T34s that have been torn apart & never reassembled ... then get parted-out as scraps.

I'd suggest you get your restoration experience with a T14 KG first, where the parts are all being reproduced, there are plenty of cars to choose from (see theSamba classifieds), and they are relatively inexpensive to buy a nice complete original one (under $5K). For the same $5K in a T34 you can expect rusty rockers & wheel wells, previous body damage (and resulting bondo repairs with non-stock sheetmetal parts underneath), missing parts, non-functional brake system, and modifications by previous inexperienced owners that don't know any better about "upgrading" their electrical, brakes, seals, interior, etc.
Time to create page: 0.058 seconds