Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Wheel cylinders for chassis number 341653

Wheel cylinders for chassis number 341653 5 years 11 months ago #6251

• trabalais
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm trying to find out what rear cylinders will fit on my girl. '64 1500S. According to the Samba, they are part number 311 611 067 but it seems there 3 22.2mm variants and a 23.8 one. Please advise. I found the 311 611 067C ones for $14 for the pair but I don't want to order them unless I know they're going to fit.

Thanks,

Thomas
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Wheel cylinders for chassis number 341653 5 years 10 months ago #6256

• Bobnotch
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 26
You should be ok with that one. In fact, that's what I'm using on my own car (a 64 T-34 1500S), as I replaced them when I was in there redoing the entire brake system. The "B" sufix might have been more correct, IF you can find them, since I believe they used that part until the end of 1964 production. The one's you've found however were used for the rest of type 34 production, and from 66-on ALL type 3 production (which helps with availability). I think I mentioned to you on the Samba, that the rear brake shoes are the same from 64 on too. B)

Re: Wheel cylinders for chassis number 341653 5 years 10 months ago #6257

• trabalais
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the response.I'm planning on re-doing the whole brake system as well. Our '64 1500S was a January baby. The tip on the brake shoes is greatly appreciated Any info you can throw my way would be appreciated.

Thomas

Re: Wheel cylinders for chassis number 341653 5 years 10 months ago #6258

• Bobnotch
  • Expert Boarder
trabalais wrote:
Thanks for the response.I'm planning on re-doing the whole brake system as well. Our '64 1500S was a January baby. The tip on the brake shoes is greatly appreciated Any info you can throw my way would be appreciated.

Thomas

Mine, I'm not sure of yet, but it is later than yours. My vin is 390620. I figured that it was a mid to late March or early April car. According to the German title, it was sold April 10th, 1964.

Contact Jim Adney (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) for your rubber brake hoses. He gets them custom made to the correct lengths for our cars (you'll have to send him your old ones first, but he returns them). He also does master cylinder rebuilds. Contact ISP West for your front shoes, as they're the only ones I know who stock them in the 64-65 only size. Your biggest issue will be the front wheel cylinders, as nobody carries them or they're very, very expensive. Some people have had them sleeved (like the split bus guys do), and have had good results. The front wheel cylinder issue is why I converted to disc brakes on mine (I went wide 5 disc though). I also ordered up a complete brake like kit from Wolfsburg West. I used their 68 bug kit, and replaced their LF line with one that was longer, since I also went with a dual circuit master cylinder (rebuilt by Jim Adney). I figured I'd totally rebuild the entire brake system, and also converted to DOT 5 brake fluid when I was done.

Re: Wheel cylinders for chassis number 341653 5 years 10 months ago #6259

• trabalais
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the info. Forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by "sleeved"? Are there any rebuild kits for the front cylinders?

Thomas

Re: Wheel cylinders for chassis number 341653 5 years 10 months ago #6260

• Bobnotch
  • Expert Boarder
trabalais wrote:
Thanks for the info. Forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by "sleeved"? Are there any rebuild kits for the front cylinders?

Thomas

This is where the cylinder is bored slightly oversize, and a tubular metal insert is installed. That tubular insert is a sleeve. The most common is stainless steel, as it has very good wear properties.

As for rebuild kits, you'll want to contact the 1500 club (www.the1500club.com), and ask there. Some of their members hoard parts, or know where obscure parts are located. You can also browse the Samba classifieds too, as entire NOS wheel cylinders do pop up now and then. If you know of a good auto parts place (one that has old parts interchange books), they might be able to source the kits thru different sources for different applications. Like I said above, this was part of the reason I converted to disc brakes up front (sourcing the front brake parts). I still have all of my old parts, in case I ever sell the car, as they will go with it.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds