Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Need Trunk lock

Need Trunk lock 7 years 9 months ago #4604

• Adolph Pinlac
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi all,
Merry Christmas and a happy new year!
It's been a wonderful somewhat uneventful year for me. The car has been doing great. I even managed to make it to the big classic vw show up in shoreline washington. :D
However For some reason. Sometime during the summer. I ended up losing my rear trunk lock and now am looking for one to replace it. Can anyone sell me a rear trunk lock in the near future? I find it annoying to have to pop the trunk with a pen or small rod. :oops: Embarrasing too.
I just wonder if anyone has a substitute for it. I noticed that the glove box release button is the same diameter and can be modified to fit the trunk as well.
I did find a trunk button in the classic show but it was incomplete. I'm kicking myself for not buying it. I could have created something to make it work.
Anyway, I would appreciate it if someone can sell me one .
Take Care everyone and keep them running!
Adolph Pinlac
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Need Trunk lock 7 years 9 months ago #4605

• Greg Skinner
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
$50.00, and it includes the special screw on locking collar to hold it in place. Both functional and visually presentable. Gabriel Garcia out of Texas could re-key it to match the rest of your locks (door and glove box) at a reasonable cost. Give him the code and he can even make you some keys. If you're interested, I can ship it to him instead of directly to you.

My email address is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. I can take Paypal.

As unusual as it seems, you aren't the first to lose the rear trunk lock. Once the small lock cylinder retaining screw comes undone, the pushbutton and lock guts are all over the road I recommend a spot of blue Locktite on that screw when you install your replacement.

-Greg

Re: Need Trunk lock 7 years 9 months ago #4609

• sonofed
  • Expert Boarder
Lose the lock? I usually have the opposite problem. Those nuts have a tendency to rust to the lock and are a bitch to take off of original installations. Its nice to know that those nuts are the same size as glove box locks so they can be replaced after one destroys the original taking the trunk lock out.

Larry

Re: Need Trunk lock 7 years 9 months ago #4610

• Greg Skinner
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I think Adolph lost the spring loaded pushbutton part of the lock when the set screw came loose and lock housing part of the pushbutton is still in the car. I think he wants to use a pushbutton from a glovebox lock to create the replacement pushbutton assembly. That's all I can think of, because though similar in shape and function, the nut that holds the glovebox pushbutton is quite a bit larger than the nut that holds the rear decklid pushbutton housing.

Re: Need Trunk lock 6 years 7 months ago #6294

• Peacefulwarrior
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Asking a question related to this. I do not have a key for the rear hatch lock and my local locksmith said he could make me one if I bring the lock in. I don't see a visible nut holding it to the body.
Is it possibly of one of those collars nuts that you have to start with a screwdriver?
Help!

Re: Need Trunk lock 6 years 7 months ago #6295

• Bobnotch
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 26
Brian, IF you have the blue Bentley, on page A-77 (page 6 of the T-34 Ghia body section), at the top left is a picture of the lock, lock nut, and tool to remove the lock nut. There's also a picture showing how to make the tool, along with it's dimensions. Someonr told me it was also located somewhere on this site, but I didn't find it in the archives. I might not have been looking in the right places though. That's why I like having the Blue Bentley. ;)
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds