Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Where to find Mick's resto thread?

Where to find Mick's resto thread? 2 years 3 months ago #6769

• Steve Horsnell
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Mick.
I have seen your restoration thread (s) before but the link I had does not work anymore. Specifically I wanted to show my VW mechanic friend the IRS/engine mount bracket manufacturing bit.
Cheers
Steve
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Where to find Mick's resto thread? 2 years 3 months ago #6771

• Mick
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 18
Hi Steve,

We disabled the blog section on the site as it was not getting used, however all of my posts are still available over at Vdubber.com in the build thread section. The post in question can be viewed here - vdubber.com/blogs/entry/Over-the-top (be sure to create a build thread for your car ;) ).

If you're trying to make some mounts up for your own car, I gave the original patterns to Deano (Grey54 here on the site). It might be worth shooting him a message and seeing if he still has them. I'm sure he wouldn't mind scanning and emailing a copy to you. If I had thought about it I would have taken a scan myself.

They were pretty easy to make up. From memory I used 3mm steel and continuously welded them to form a strong box shape. The critical part was the size of the bottom part that the mount sat in, if this is too large it will not fit as it has to tuck behind the panel in the engine bay (shown in the photos). The plate on the rear is also very important to stop the bolts tearing through the panel.

Originally I wanted to make these to accept Porsche mounts but there simply was not enough room.

Let me know how you get on.

Mick.

Where to find Mick's resto thread? 2 years 3 months ago #6772

• Mick
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 18
BTW, your email provider is bouncing messages back from type34.com as it thinks they are spam. Might need to add type34.com to your sender whitelist

Where to find Mick's resto thread? 2 years 2 months ago #6776

• Steve Horsnell
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Cheers Mick.
Pity to hear that the Porsche mounts won't fit as that is what I have! I'll source some originals then.
Will have a look at email, was wondering why I never receive any notifications!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1963Type341
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds