Build Threads

Type 34 Registry member blogs and build threads

  • Home
    Home This is where you can find all the blog posts throughout the site.
  • Categories
    Categories Displays a list of categories from this blog.
  • Tags
    Tags Displays a list of tags that have been used in the blog.
  • Bloggers
    Bloggers Search for your favorite blogger from this site.
  • Team Blogs
    Team Blogs Find your favorite team blogs here.
  • Login
    Login Login form

Early front beam bearings, bushings, and seals

Posted by on in NOS parts
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Hits: 2389
  • 1 Comment
  • Print
It's been a long time since I've made any progress on the Ghia. 2012 has been an overwhelming year — turned 50, got married, started a new job, currently in the 9th month of what was supposed to be a 5-month house addition/renovation project — so the car (and blog) have had to take a back seat. I'm looking forward to getting back to the Ghia soon, but in the meantime I've been picking up some NOS parts occasionally, including this collection of bearings, bushings, and seals for early Type 3 front beams.



Many of the front beam parts for my Ghia are unique to the first year or so of production (of course), so later Type 3 parts won't fit. Because of their scarcity I've been wanting to acquire NOS front beam parts for a long time, so when Bert van der Jeught offered a set on The Samba I took notice. The price scared me off at first, but then I looked around for other sources, did the math, and realized that assembling a complete set from multiple sources (assuming the individual parts were available, which they almost never are) would cost another half as much, so I went for it. No regrets, and it's nice to have these on hand for the inevitable front beam overhaul.

Comments

  • Michael Percy
    Michael Percy Thursday, 01 November 2012

    I feel your pain. I drove the Ghia into the garage at the end of last summer with the intention of fixing up the last few bugs over the winter and have done pretty much everything but. With Summer fast approaching I need to get moving.

    I searched for front beam bushes and rubbers when I rebuilt mine and found none (and mine isn't an early model). I ended up reusing the ones that were already fitted. Fortunately they weren't too worn.

    Looks like a good score. Should drive nice and tight when it's done.

    (happy 50th BTW)

    Mick.

  • Please login first in order for you to submit comments