Build Threads

Type 34 Registry member blogs and build threads

  • Home
    Home This is where you can find all the blog posts throughout the site.
  • Categories
    Categories Displays a list of categories from this blog.
  • Tags
    Tags Displays a list of tags that have been used in the blog.
  • Bloggers
    Bloggers Search for your favorite blogger from this site.
  • Team Blogs
    Team Blogs Find your favorite team blogs here.
  • Login
    Login Login form

Exterior

Posted by on in Exterior
With the headliner and rear parcel shelf now installed the next things to get installed are the trims that fit around the side windows. The whole area has an extruded aluminium trim that sits in a rubber channel, this fits from the base of the A Pillar, along the roof, down the rear of the C pillar and back along the bottom of the aperture to the door opening. The trim section helps to hold the roof lining in position and finishes the roof lining off. I had previously sent the aluminium trims out to be polished.  Normally these trim sections are plated with a bright finish similar to anodizing (but not the same), however I decided to polish them which gives a shinier finish. The trims were then waxed to prevent oxidation. There are a few articles in the library about trim refinishing and from memory at least one Registry...

Posted by on in Exterior
This weekend, after stripping down the fresh air intake vent assemblies, I cleaned up the vent mechanisms and repainted the whole assembly using a 3 part enamel system. The paint system includes a zinc rich rust treatment, an etch primer and an enamel top coat. I got this stuff for the floor pan inside the car but decided to try it on the air vents as a test, I was very impressed with the results. I cleaned the rubber seals and mesh inserts in a bowl of hot soapy water, carefully removing paint overspray with a brass brush. The mesh vents and seals cleaned up pretty good. After letting the paint cure I reassembled the vents and set about getting them back into the car. This is a pretty tricky task, especially getting the drivers vent back in place, I'm not sure if it is the same for left hand drive...

Posted by on in Exterior
Earlier in the week I took a trip out to a company called Volksfactory here in Adelaide, I managed to pick up some window track felts, wiper motor bushes and also hopefully sort out another IRS rear subframe. I am re-making the rear suspension as I need to narrow the track some more plus I have an idea to remove the spring-plates and torsion bar setup. I also picked up the front rail of the sunroof from the chromers yesterday and took down some more bits and bobs the have chromed, namely the rear window latches, headlamp trim rings and the door lock surround. The only parts I have left to get done are to have the door cap trims re-polished. The trim rail for the sunroof is now in and fitted, and I also managed to source some teflon material from work which I have used to repair the sliding...

Posted by on in Exterior
I've had quite a good weekend as far as progress goes, I put some shelves up in the garage and cleared the stuff that was stored in the car out. I found the keys for the car that I thought I had lost, as well as made some progress on the car. I managed to get the sunroof in and working, I made some front guide / slide mounts from aluminum and checked everything was working okay. Then as I was sorting through some boxes I discovered that I already had a pair of the guides. It would seem that I managed to get hold of some from somewhere (which is great news) but had completely forgotten both the fact that I had them and who I got them from (which is not good news). So, in my old age, I seem to have developed acute memory loss.......... tsk The brackets...

Posted by on in Exterior
Wow - Last progress update was nearly a year ago !! Well, I finally bought a house (or should I say 'we' bought a house - me and the GF that is) and last week went a brought the Ghia back home. I hired a trailer, and armed with a 3 tonne trolley jack (see posts above RE forklifts and trailers) went a picked it up from in storage at my works factory. This time I left the trailer hitched to the car and jacked up the rear of the car and trailer together to get the angle of the trailer right so that the Ghia didn't bottom out. It was a bit hairy but worked well. The journey home took it's toll on the rear arches which will now need to have a new lip welded on, but that's not too bad - there's a couple of little dings in...